Today we celebrated another Buckeye win over that hated team from up north. The fact that this was the 6th straight win for the Buckeyes and that several times during the game, when the commentators said "Michigan" loudly enough to grab her attention, I got to hear Nova, who was playing quietly in the middle of the floor stop momentarily and say "Michigan...YUCK!" could have made this my favorite installment of the greatest rivalry in sports...But it didn't.
My second fall in Columbus (1992), my brother-in-law to be, Ed and I were in the Horseshoe when the Buckeyes intercepted the ball on the final play of a 13-13 game and looked momentarily like they were going to run it all the way back for a touchdown but didn't and ended the game in a tie (this was before OT in college football). The fact that this was the first OSU-Michigan game I ever attended could make this my favorite...But it's not.
In 1995, I stood on the sideline in Ann Arbor as a student athletic trainer, as our highly ranked and undefeated team, led by Heisman winner Eddie George needed only to win to clinch a Rose Bowl berth. Even though I walked away from the game with one of Michigan's game balls (which I still have) when one of our defensive back carried it off the field after an interception, the fact that we lost 31-23 makes this clearly NOT my favorite.
In 2005, our first year in Hawaii, the Buckeyes came from 9 points down with 7:00 minutes left with the winning touchdown with 24 seconds left to win and I jumped around the living room so wildly that I woke up Emilie who was sound asleep on the couch after being on call the night before.
The following year, the #1 ranked Buckeyes beat the #2 ranked Wolverines in a shootout 42-39 to advance to the national championship game.
Last year the Buckeyes decimated the Loserines 42-7.
All great games but none of these are my favorite...
In 1994, the Buckeyes were stuck in the midst of a 0-5-1 streak against Michigan. But that year, the game was in Columbus and hopes were high that we'd get back in the win column. That year, my sister Coral had a brilliant idea...as an early Christmas present, she would give up her ticket, we'd buy the ticket off our other roommate and I would take my grandpa and dad to the game.
Though both were die-hard and lifelong Buckeye fans, neither had ever actually been to an Ohio State-Michigan game so we knew they would love it!
When game-day arrived it was a typical freezing November afternoon in Columbus. That day as I climbed up to the upper deck of the 'Shoe with my grandpa and dad, I could feel all the eyes zeroing in on us...it was probably because our seats with right in the middle of a student section and I was parading up the steps with a 70 year old farmer completely decked out in his overalls and Dekalb hat. I actually looked out of place in our party as my dad was attired similarly to grandpa.
My grandpa had spent spent pretty much everyday of his adult life when he wasn't going to church or in the army wearing a pair of overalls so why would a cold day at a football game be any different?
As the final seconds ticked down on the Buckeyes 22-6 win and brought an end to the losing streak against Michigan, the fans stormed the field. We stood in the upper deck and laughed as the cops did their best to keep the horde of fans from tearing down the goal posts (and were successful I might add).
After the initial ruckus died down, the three of us ventured down out of the stands and walked out onto the field at Ohio Stadium...it was clear my grandpa and dad were loving every minute of the experience.
I'm sure the next day as they took their normal Sunday afternoon nap that their dreams were a little sweeter as they reflected on the day.
Every year, when I'm watching the Big Game, I think about that day. It was especially on my mind today as this was the first Ohio State-Michigan game since my grandpa passed away last January.
In his 84 years on this earth, that game was the only time he got to see his beloved Buckeyes play Michigan in person. But I'm sure that today he was looking down from high above the stadium in Ann Arbor and I'd like to think he was fondly remembering the last time he'd seen an OSU-Michigan game in person...
...And when the final seconds ticked down on the Buckeyes 21-10 win, I know grandpa was smiling.



1 comments:
cris,
what beautiful memories to carry with you. i'm sure he was smiling today! btw, do you share your recipe for your buckeyes...or is it a secret? they look delicious!
Post a Comment