The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Our Journey to Juneau...

Two months ago today I sat in a small room with bare cinderblock walls in a little town in rural Vietnam and waited anxiously to meet Juneau. When they brought her into the room that day, I could never imagine how this little girl would change my life. Now, two months removed from that day I sit here and can't imagine life without her. She has fit into her spot in our family so quickly and naturally that if seems like she hasn't ever not been here.


Bumbo Sissies!!
I've spent the last 6 weeks since we got home slowly working on compiling a video memoir of our family's journey. This has given me opportunity to relive our trip to Vietnam through the 500+ pictures and video we brought home. I am reminded of how scared Juneau was those first days and it seems so funny considering what a happy, silly, playful girl she is now. I am reminded that even in those first few days she was showing me that part of her personality that can be very serious as she takes in her surroundings and sizes everything up.
Juneau's Serious Side
I am reminded of that first week that Juneau and I, in many ways, struggled through together and how it created the special bond I feel with her when I come home and no matter what she is doing, she wants to be held by daddy.

I am reminded of how glad I am that my parents were able to make the trip with me and share in the joys of seeing Juneau join their family. I know it continues to bring them such happiness to reflect back on those 2 weeks and relive the memories of the trip. And I am reminded of Emilie's tears of joy that night at the airport when she finally met the little girl she had dreamed of for so long (I still get teary eyed every time I watch that part of the video...as well as, of course, the part with Juneau and her nanny).


Mommy and Juneau finally together

Juneau's Silly Side



So, after much tinkering, editing and re-editing, I'm glad to be able to share this 8 minute glimpse of our Journey to Juneau:



6 comments:

Leslie & Shaune said...

what a beautiful video. your journey has been a pleasure to follow and gives me hope and anticipation for our own journey to Vietnam :)

you have a beautiful family.

well done :)

leslie

Linda said...

Your recap of your journey to be united with beautiful Juneau is so awesome - thanks for sharing! I love following your blog and seeing both of your girls...you have such an amazing future in store for you! That speaking from a Mom with two beautiful little girls, but, now 9 yrs. (Vietnam) and 11 yrs. (China)....have fun and keep track of the fun...it goes by TOO fast!!!!
Linda Larson and family

Anonymous said...

wow what a great video! thanks for sharing - i love reading your blog
~Eden

Shabnam and Brant said...

cris, you did a beautiful job on the video! we are so happy for you guys! hopefully, we will get to visit you in december.
love,
the lutsi fam

Jenn said...

thank you so much for sharing!!

Bharani said...

Love the video and music selections. Juneau (and I'm sure Nova too) will treasure this documented history when they get older. Glad to hear things are going well.