...or else he's an undercover police nark.
I'm assuming this is what people thought when they saw me last night as I sat at the Pepsi Center in Denver watching...
...wait for it...
...the Taylor Swift concert.
I've never really been a country music fan and I'm obviously not a teenage girl who recently had her heart broken by a "mean boy" but as it turns out, my friend Amos is Ms. Swift's bass player. So, when the tour brought them to Denver for 2 nights, Amos got me a hook-up on some sweet tickets and carved out some time for dinner before the concert so Emilie and I channeled our inner 15-year-old girl and headed off to the show.
Let me back up briefly and tell you about my friend Amos - Amos was one of those people God brings into your life just when you need them. I met Amos back when I was living in Cincinnait and we quickly bonded over our mutual love of Monty Python. Amos was my dearest and closest friend at a time when I needed a close male confidant and some of the deepest and most meaningful conversations I've ever had about life, philosophy...you name it...have been with Amos...Thanks Buddy!
About the time I moved to Hawaii, Amos moved to Nashville to try to make it big as a musician. He had always been an EXTREMELY talented bass player and played with various bands around Cincy that were regionally famous. I always said that if there was anyone I knew who was talented enough to be a big time professional musician, it was Amos...and I was right! Now, he plays every night in front of 20,000 people with the biggest name in pop/country music today.
Back to our night...
When we started making plans, I knew immediately where we needed to go for dinner...the world famous (thanks to Southpark) Casa Bonita. It is kitsch, retro, short on sanitary measures and serves mediocre Mexican cuisine...but it is bursting with ambience...and I knew it would be right in Amos' wheel house. We always describe it as a Mexican version of Chuck E. Cheese but with more 1970's overtones and less class. If you've never been there or seen the Southpark episode, this clip very accurately portrays the experience, including the cliff divers, Black Bart's cave, the strolling Mariache band and the yummy sopapillas.
Me and Amos in front of Casa Bonita... We totally lucked out and got a cool table overlooking the waterfall and cliff-diving pool...
Amos' face pretty much says it all...
Though I was concerned that my dinner suggestion might single-handedly shut down the Taylor Swift concert for all of Denver if Amos was suddenely struck by uncontrollable vomiting, we headed back to the Pepsi Center.



2 comments:
I'm so jealous! I would love to take our nearly 6 year old to see TS BUT alas they are not coming anywhere close to us this year! Awesome seats and even an awesomer friend!
Great story! If he's ever looking for a drummer in Honolulu hook him up with Steve....
Post a Comment