Tonight is our last night in Hawaii. This island holds so many memories for our family. It's hard to believe 4 years ago Cris and I got married here in Hawaii, Nova was born here, Juneau joined our family here, we purchased our first home together here, Cris earned his PhD, I finished my residency, and we said goodbye to Cris' Grandpa here in Hawaii. While we were so far from home and family for the last four years, our amazing friends in Hawaii became our family, and now we have to say goodbye to these friends. It's been a tough week as far as that is concerned, with our friends each flying out to their new assignments. We are excited about what the next 3 years in Colorado holds, but so sad to leave this island that has been our home for the last 4 years.
To say the week has been busy is a significant understatement. There is so much to be done, and we have a lot that we are leaving undone. Our home (which we have decided not to sell, but to try to rent given the current real estate situation) in Hawaii still has no tenant, our Prius is not yet sold, Cris has no job, we have no place to live once we get to Colorado. Sounds scary, right? that's what we think too! We have been blessed in unbelievable ways, and i know God will continue to provide for our family in the midst of this transition, but please keep these things in your prayers!
Friday was the end of an era, as i graduated from the Tripler OB/GYN Residency Program. It's funny how surreal it seemed to actually be done. It's been a long road. I was of course thinking back through my journey to end up at this point. I remembered how i cried and cried in the bathroom in the science building my first year of college when i miserably failed my Chemistry test. I remembered studying so hard for the MCAT, and sitting in the same chair for 10 hours a day every day for weeks trying to learn enough get a good score. Then medical school came, and the crazy studying continued. Graduation from medical school was similarly surreal, and then residency began. The 80-100 hour work weeks, the 24 hour shifts, the constant emotional and physical strain for 4 years. Trying to find a balance between being a great doctor and a great mom. The guilt leaving the house before the girls woke up, and not making it home before they went to sleep. I am anxious to see what life will be like as an OB/GYN out of residency. I still don't have a ton of autonomy since i will be an Army doc for the next 3 years, but I am excited to see what the next 3 years will bring. Hopefully a trip to Iraq isn't in my future, but i guess we will just have to wait and see on that one.
The Stickley's and The Clardy's - our Hawaii Family. We will miss these guys like crazy, but hopefully we will be reunited in 3 years to start our practice together!
Our residency class (yes, all girls!) with our Dr. Hill and Dr. Olson
Me and the girls (obviously barely tolerating the sun and heat after the 2 hour ceremony!)
Me with Dr. Olson - my mentor and one of the most amazing Doctors and Moms in the whole world.
Getting my diploma!Following graduation we celebrated with the annual Senior Roast. The 3rd year residents host the party, which is held at the beautiful Halekulani resort in Waikiki. Fortunately, they weren't too cruel to the seniors, and everyone had a good laugh and lots of fun spending time with friends.
Getting ready for "The Roast" in Tracy's hotel room at the Halekulani
Me and Tracy
Cris with our very good friend Benny
Me with Brandy (a radiology resident, but an honorary member of the OB Crew)The rest of the week we have spent trying to tie up some of our loose ends. We have gotten to spend a little bit of time enjoying the beach and pool with the girls, but mostly Betsy has been spending a lot of time with the girls. I can't say enough how much the girls are loving their time with Bets. Juneau especially is learning so much. She now knows all of her colors, and is even starting to count (although we hear "seven" quite frequently in the sequence, it's currently her favorite number). She is also learning her shapes, and points out circles everywhere we go. She has several songs that she knows most of the words too, and she also has some dances that go along with the songs.
Juneau feeding Nova breakfast in our "home" at the Hale Koa Hotel
We still have a bit of packing to be done, and a full day tomorrow, so i will sign off for tonight. As a closing thought....does the fact that Nova's feet always end up looking like this by the end of the day make us bad parents? :)
ALOHA HAWAII - WE WILL MISS YOU








4 comments:
WOW, ya just made me tear up! Congrats to you and your residency class. What a huge accomplishment. I loved your post, but you have to change its title to "here we come paradise!" I can almost promise you'll LOVE it here too. I know it'd be quite the commute for you, but you guys always have a place to crash here if you ever needed it while looking for somewhere to live in CO. Travel safely and be in touch!
Wow what life changes you are facing. I am praying for you all. God is faithful and things will fall into place soon. Trust Him.
I'm anxious to talk to you about adoption. Our hearts have been there for a while now. I'm sure that it will come about in the next few years. I love talking to people that have been through it.
Your girls are beautiful! I am looking forward to the next post when you are settled in CO!
Blessings!
We are praying for you all. The Lord will provide and take care of each one of you. He is an awesome God and is always there for us. I hope you know the Potsdam Church loves you all very much and you are in our prayers. Alice
Wow, that is an overwhelming post. So much accomplished and so much to do! Congrats on your graduation and prayers for a quick settling in CO! I may go with Josh on a business trip to Denver in Oct. - don't know how close that is but maybe I will look you up!
Post a Comment