yesterday at about 10 a.m. i walked into my office after seeing a patient and found a sticky note on my computer. It said:
"Em,
see me,
Bri"
"Bri" is actually Colonel Crisp, who is the department chief for OB/GYN. the note made me just a tiny bit nervous, so i hightailed it over to his office. apparently "see me" actually means "you are going to afghanistan".
apparently about an hour before the note was placed on my computer he got a memo from the 'higher ups' somewhere requesting the name of an OB/GYN physician who would be deploying to afghanistan in April (as in 2 months away) for 15 months. There are 12 docs in my department, 5 are military, 2 have already deployed, 1 is deploying this summer, so that leaves 2 of us to potentially fill the slot. Me, and the other girl who just graduated from residency.
So, the solution is that she and I will split the deployment.
Technically the deployment is from 4/12/2010 - 7/12/2011. Only 12 months of that will be in Afghanistan, the other 3 months are a little unclear....it will likely be spent somewhere here in the states, "debriefing" with the unit or something like that.
So, she will go 4/12-10/30, and i will go 10/16-4/12. not sure what 4/12-7/12 will involve.
The other bad news is that the deployment is as a GMO (General Medical Officer) which basically means i will have a little tiny primary care clinic that sees "sick call". I was really hoping to deploy in a surgery spot so that i could at least be in the midst of the major medical action while i was there, but unfortunately i will be seeing ingrown toenails and seasonal allergies.
i knew deployment was in my future, but now that i have an actual date it is feeling a little surreal.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Afghanistan
Posted by Cris and Em at 6:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Em, my heart sank as soon as I read the title of this post. Please let us know if there's anything we can do. I know it's a little ways off, but I can't even imagine how you're feeling.
We're thinking about you guys.
I'm sorry emmie!!!! I have to say, from my perspective, I'm happy you won't be in the middle of the "action" and safely seeing ingrown toenails! But I know as a surgeon that is not your ideal! We'll be thinking of you!
XOXO,
shab
Oh Em, I'm so sorry. The combination of being deployed AND going as a GMO. Ugh. Thinking of you.
I'm so, so sorry...I can't imagine having to be away that long. I'm not sure how you prepare yourself for that. Thinking of you guys...
Brittany told me she saw your blog post- I know it seems like a bummer, but I know that you will make the best of it. We will keep you and your family in our prayers while you are deployed. I still owe you an email...will get a reply to you soon-HLO
Oh Em I'm sorry. We will continue to pray for you. I know you were hoping to avoid going as a GM by volunteering. God can use it for good. Keep trusting Him.
Post a Comment