The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Monday, July 4, 2011

The American Trinity

Posted by: Cris

Happy Birthday to the land that I love!

I spent almost literally the whole day working out in the garage trying to make organization out of the moving mess which resulted in 2 good outcomes: One was getting the garage organization almost completely done so that now my van is inside and safe from the next hail storm which Colorado will invariably produce.

But more importantly, I got to listen to about 5 hours of very compelling radio about the history and meaning of July 4th from 2 of my favorite radio hosts.

While I was COMPLETELY enthralled by the 3 hour step by step documentary based on historical writings of the American revolution (I'm thinking of ordering the CD set so Emilie can listen to it), it was the philosophical discussion of American exceptionalism by Dennis Prager that compelled me to write this blog.

The United States was indeed a grand experiment at the time of its founding. As much as we take it for granted, the concept that government's power derives from those who are governed was a completely abnormal concept throughout human culture up to that time. But this group of men embarked on this grand experiment based on 3 pillars that Mr. Prager has come to describe as "The American Trinity."




Today, as I listened to this great discussion of this great land where I am blessed to live, I thought back to the time I spent in Vietnam 3 years ago this coming week. As we drove through the countryside on the way to and from the orphanage where I found my precious little girl and saw the limits on the liberty and pursuit of happiness for so many, I realized that there was nothing different between me and any of these people other than the luck bestowed by the grace of God that I was born in the United States...and for that, I am exceedingly thankful.


"God Bless America...Land That I Love...Stand Beside Her...And Guide Her...Through the Night With a Light From Above"

0 comments: