I got out of church just in time to hear that the U.S. was getting screwed over by a clueless ref in the World Cup quarterfinals. But, thanks to that clueless ref, the stage was set for possibly the most dramatic soccer match I've ever seen and thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I was able to watch the rest of the game on my phone while sitting beside Juneau who was enjoying a GIGANTIC bowl of Pho for lunch.
For those who didn't see it...first, find out when ESPN Classic is replaying the game this week and set your DVR. In the meantime, my summary:
With the U.S. up 1-0, the dirtiest and most obnoxious women's soccer player in the world, Marta from Brazil took an absolute DIVE in the penalty box and a gullible ref threw up a red card and gave Brazil a penalty kick. Proving that the call was garbage, U.S. goalkeeper Hope Solo made an awesome save to preserve the lead...but this ref really likes Marta apparently so she called back the attempt saying a U.S. player encroached on the penalty box prior to the kick. Now, I've been playing soccer since I was in 1st grade and the last time I saw this call made was probably...2nd grade maybe?
So, Brazil converts on the rekick of the PK and now the game is tied with the U.S. down a player for the rest of regulation. When Marta scored 2 minutes into extra time and the U.S. down a player, it looked like the U.S. hopes for this World Cup were over (Note: even the go-ahead goal was scored on a questionable non-call of offsides).
Time continued to tick away past the 120 minute mark and 2 minutes of added time continued.
About a year ago, I made a post about the greatest goal in U.S. World Cup history by Landon Donovan:Landon Donovan Goal
That dramatic goal no longer holds the title thanks to this (I suggest "view full screen" and turning the volume clear up for the full effect):
As amazing as Abby Wambach's finish was, I played that left wing position that Megan Rapinoe was playing and that cross from Rapinoe absolutely made my jaw drop...EPIC!
The latest goal ever scored in World Cup history (basically 30 seconds left in extra time + added time) tied the game and sent it to PK's. Hope Solo made another incredible save on Brazil's 3rd kick, the U.S. converted all 5 and the win was secured 5-3 in penalty kicks.
Most amazing soccer match I've ever seen!
Sunday, July 10, 2011
That Just Happened!
Posted by Cris and Em at 11:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment