The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The One Where I Talk About How My Job Might Actually Kill Me

I went to the doctor (well, actually to the nurse practioner) last month for my annual army physical. My blood pressure was high, but i thought it was just because i was having a kind of stressful day (it was the week i was Dr. Death). She recommended i do a Five Day BP check.

Today at my BP check my blood pressure was 210/126. And that was while i was sitting and relaxing. First it was 180/107, so the nurse said "hmmmm.....lets check that on the other arm". Well, the other arm was not quite as friendly, and gave us 210/126. At which point i realize i am probably going to have a stroke while i am sitting right there in the chair. luckily i didn't. But I guess what freaks me out is that if my blood pressure is so freakishly high when i am just sitting in a chair, what in the world is it doing when i'm in the O.R. with an emergency c-section, while getting hammer paged from the ER, and all the while wishing i could just sleep 7 consecutive hours without any babies crying. I don't mean to complain about my job. it's really not that the job is so terribly stressful, it's more that i'm just not handling the stress very well.

I am frustrated with the fact that i spent 12 years training to be a doctor, that i have finally made it to being an OB/GYN (although i still have 2 more years before i am technically Board Certified - does the training ever end!), and that the majority of patient's i deal with every day are rude and entitled. That patient's (and their husbands) feel it is appropriate to curse and yell at the medical staff, and to threaten us with complaints to the Patient Representative if they don't get what they want. Just yesterday I had a patient's husband DEMAND that she be induced that very day, regardless of the fact that her due date was 2+ weeks away. She was in pain, and if I didn't agree to induce her he was going straight to the patient rep to complain about the medical care. Although I know i was right not to agree to an unindicated induction, it is still such a pain to have to deal with the patient rep, which often means the physician has to actually call the patient and APOLOGIZE that they were unsatisified with their medical care! What has this profession become! In the end i agreed to do an amniocentesis on this crazy patient to document that her baby's lungs were mature, then do an induction. so yes, she got her way. But who in their right mind would CHOOSE to have a giant needle stuck into their uterus just so that they can be induced 2 weeks early?

To add to the drama i was contacted by the Patient Rep at Tripler this week to inform me a former patient was seeking compensation due to the fact that she didn't like her hysterectomy scar. I have to say I am very, VERY careful with my incisions. Probably to a fault. Sometimes it takes me 30 minutes to get the incision closed the way i want it (compared to the 3 minutes it takes to just staple it closed - which i don't do). So this girl has had THREE c/sections, and a hysterectomy....there is no way her abdominal scar is going to be perfect. So she is trying to sue me, the last one who operated on her, so she can get an abdominoplasty paid for. It's so so so painful to have to deal with this kind of crap.

It is so hard to understand how much i have sacrificed over the last 12 years to become a physician, and now i spend my day, every day, trying to satisfy patients who just can't be satisifed, and trying to keep from getting sued. It is depressing that i gave up so much of my life for this.

So now i am going through everything i can to figure out what changes i need to make to get this BP at least out of the stroke-out range. this means giving up things that i LOVE, like caffeine (i usually drink one Grande Vanilla Latte, and at least 2 cans of diet coke/day). I don't know what else it means giving up. I don't have much of an option as far as the job goes. I can't cut back on my hours since i am employed by the U.S. Army for the next 3 years (oh yes, which adds to the stress that when Obama sends 30,000 troops to afghanistan this year, they are going to need a WHOLE LOT of doctors to go, and i will probably find myself in the desert sometime soon).

so anyway, this is a big, long, ranting post basically to say i am basically a walking ball of stress and anxiety, and it's driving me to an early grave!

Either that or i am allergic to Colorado and cold weather, and they army should send me back to Hawaii to keep me from stroking!

4 comments:

Becca, Brad, and Julian said...

em - i am so sorry that you are so stressed.
i really want to say that it will get better and won't be so crazy, but I just don't know.
please know, that whether it feels like it or not, you really are making a difference in people's lives and helping them deliver happy, healthy babies!
thinking of you.
becca

Anonymous said...

I'm so terribly sorry that you have to deal with people like that. Last week my husband and I went through an absolutely horrible ordeal and coupled tragedy in a military medical facility overseas and if it hadn't been for the phenomenal support and compassion of the OB/GYN and L&D staff, we would have surely not made it through. You seem like a wonderful person and doctor, and I only wish people could see how much worse it could be if they were actually stuck with bad or disrespectful doctors. It is clear just from your blog that you have a wonderful heart, and I saw that night last week just a bit of how much stuff people have to see when working on a L&D floor (I mean, really, it's just gross all of the fluids and blood and icky stuff - you guys are saints!). So from a military spouse to a military doctor, thank you for your service, compassion and heart. I hope your positive situations will outweigh your negatives (and that you're not allergic to CO, because it's wonderful!).

Trying Traditional said...

Had to battle the BP for 4 years (led me to my second set of girls, actually.) Drugs barely touched the numbers, it was really kind of scary. My dr had said to elliminate salt and I really do not do much salt aside from those processed foods and even at that I was already doing low-salt seeing as I am not fond of salty. The biggest thing I did that seemed to help was to elliminate all (yes, all) processed foods. As in if it had an ingredient I had to concentrate to pronounce or MSG, high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, or the ever mysterious "natural flavors" (often MSG) in it I did not eat it. Not easy, but my numbers were up there with yours and two young girls at home...well, you know how it goes. That knocked my top number down to 160, but of course that is not enough. From there I made sure that my plate (even at breakfast) was half fruits or veggies and started yoga twice a week. I still run a bit on the high side when I am not watching the processed foods (average is 130/85-ish) but so much better than where I was. Watching salt, seemed to do nothing for me, by the way.

Take care of yourself as best you can...it's important for both you and the ones you love!

Laurie said...

I should send you a picture of the scar on MY abdomen so you can show miss priss what you COULD have done to her if she wanted to see a nasty scar! I know it doesn't matter how frivolous the lawsuit, it's stressful for the physician no matter what and impossible not to let it rattle you. Just try to remember the patients who have loved you and hang on to those. You are an awesome person and doctor. Please take care of yourself!!