The last 10 days have been pretty much terrible around here. For the most part, i am a very positive person. I see the good in most situations, and even during tough times, I don't allow myself to really get pulled into feeling down or depressed. This last week has been an exception to the usual. It pretty much started during the trip to ohio, when I really needed the girls to be on their best behavior, and what i got was the opposite. I was totally overwhelmed trying to fulfill all the roles that were so important to me that week. To make things worse, I started right back into work less than 12 hours after landing in colorado. I think the combination of all the stressors (and in retrospect, the girls were both getting a terrible little virus) pretty much created the perfect storm for a serious mommy melt-down. I cried pretty much every day, starting with the fateful Awana's incident. Juneau continued to have destructive and beligerant behavior. She ended up sitting against the wall for most of her karate class, and at the end of class she was the only kid who didn't get a sticker on their forhead (for good behavior). I spent the days at work stressing about needing to be at home, and then i spent the evenings at home irritable and on edge for my terrible job parenting these girls. I accumulated a stack of parenting books last week (ranging from " The Connected Child" to "The Strong Willed Child"). I scoured the internet looking for tips, advice, and mostly empathy from parents in similar situations. I spent tons of time on the phone with my mom and my sister Becky, getting priceless advice from the "been there done that" family members. I cried to my husband, who did his very best to comfort and encourage me from 5000 miles away. In fact, on friday I burst into tears in front of my entire ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life support) refresher class, when on of the midwives made a totally unrelated comment about parenting. The most embarrassing of it all, was i began to frequent the Thrift Store, where i by far had the best behaved children in the whole place. In fact, after the first night we went there (to look for parenting books, haha!), The checkout lady complimented not only the girls' behavior, but my parenting skills!!!!!!! It was easy to feel good about myself when the store was filled with screaming and tantruming toddlers. In 2 days, when i was having another terrible evening with the girls, i loaded the whole gang up, and back to the thrift store we went...just to make me kinda feel like a good mom!!!
Anyway, all that long and drawn out description of my week to say....i think i see a tiny little light at the end of this deep and dark tunnel. I had an amazing weekend with the girls. Juneau's behavior has taken a serious turn in the right direction. She still has some frustrating behaviors (the one that bothers me the most is her 1-2 hour long fight to go to sleep. she lays in bed and wrings her hand, and plays with her fingers, and hits herself, the bed, and the wall when she feels like she is starting to drift off to sleep. If she sees that nova is resting peacefully she will reach over and pinch or slap her just to get a response. she is TIRED TIRED TIRED, and often her eyes will be closed, and she is almost in dreamyland, but she continues to stimulate herself to stay awake. it is painful!!!) HOWEVER, things are about 85% better around here. I don't know exactly what happened, but I am enjoying my kids again. Juneau is making obvious and conciouss efforts to make good choices, and to be kind to nova. Nova has had a rough couple of days, getting over a virus, and then pink eye, but she seems to be on the mend, and life is starting to become beautiful again around here!!! thank you for all of those who have been thinking about us, and praying for me and the girls during this time. I am a bit hesitant to say it this early....but i think we ar egoing to make it!!!
now....on to the pictures!
I have been soo off the blogging wagon, that i didn't even write about our trip the the hot air balloon festival!! (notice the long sleeved shirts -it is starting to get cool around here!)
Laura had never had on of the true delicacies of childhood - those little wax bottles that are filled with colored sugar water! haha! Juneau had to give her instructions on how to use them :)
Nova in her karate outfit!
The girls before church on sunday (thanks for the cute dresses, secily!!!) Juneau is holding her new very very favorite toy (her golden find from our thrift store outings last week). Her horse was originally named "Alice Alaska", but has recently taken the name "spirit" since they watched the disney movie recently.
Not sure why, but Juneau seems to be doing this weird sideways shifty look for a lot of her pictures! haha!
Juneau with "Alice Alaska" aka "spirit"



2 comments:
We also have a child that does not like to go to sleep. She cries, screams, complains, etc... just to keep from having to go to sleep. It usually only happens when she's extremely exhausted. Which only makes her exhaustion worse, b/c of the lack of sleep! What a lovely pattern! Not!! I've found that babying her ALOT helps. Sitting in her room rocking her, just giving her that complete one on one attention seems to do the job! I know it's not ideal, BUT in all reality, I had to change my thinking to: Is there really anything more important (reading a book, quiet time to myself, a tv show) really more important that giving her what she needs during this stage. In a blog I read the woman posting says "This is just for a season" I have to remind myself of this ALOT especially when it's been several nights in a row! Good luck!
Our now 12+ yr. old has never been a good sleeper at night (I say at night because boy can she sleep come morning!)
I am sure you tried lots of things but I will give you some of my tricks that helped. Soft soothing music (think spa), warm bath right before bed - no playing the last 5 minutes...pillow mist lavender spray...lit lavender candles around the home...I sprayed the mist all over the bedroom, not just the pillow...it may not have put her to sleep, but I feel confident that it soothed and calmed her nerves...I hated doing this one, but, it really worked...I laid next to her and massaged her body gently - usually I was zonked out before her...but when I did wake, I could go to my bed while she slept comfortably the rest of the night.
I however, did not have to do what you do - your job, your hours...and my hubby wasn't miles away...so I had a different look on my sleep.
It is SO very hard. She would have some wild dreams sometimes. I knew they were not night terrors but they were odd and she would tell me who I was, but yet she didn't seem to really know I was there.
She might be totally confused about Daddy being gone...after having you gone...maybe just some more time to get used to the new arrangements - I will be thinking of you and praying for you...hang in there!
Linda Larson
mom to Sadie (China) and Sophie (Vietnam)
Post a Comment