Back in the days before PhD programs and kids, I used to spend countless weekends way up in the air clinging to the side of a rock. I've been fortunate enough to climb some really cool and famous routes in some amazing locales with some of the coolest people I've ever known. Indeed, some of the happiest memories I have in my life involve thrutching, groaning and clawing my way up a stretch of rock high above Yosemite National Park or any number of other magnificent vistas.
My parents always said it was my destiny considering I spent my childhood climbing anything in sight, from the giant tree out in front of our house to the rafters of the tobacco shed. I still remember my grandpa sitting me down when the first grain bin was built on our farm and making it very clear that if I climbed up onto the bin roof without permission that I was in BIG TROUBLE!!
It had been quite clear since Juneau came home that Juneau loved to climb. After all, she could climb from the floor, onto the couch, up the back of the couch and into the window sill on her own before she could even walk. So, at Christmas, after ignoring the "for ages 2 and up" warning, we bought Juneau her Kangaroo Climber and even before the day was over, she had nearly mastered climbing up every side of the structure.
In the last few weeks we have had more chances to take the girls to the playground near our house. Juneau has been climbing up the stairs of the jungle gym and going down the slide on her own for awhile now but a few weeks ago she realized that one side of the structure was a climbing wall and then it was all over.
Clearly she gets her moves from her dad.



No dad has ever been prouder than me watching my 16 month old climb the 7 foot tall wall (which I'm rating at 5.4 YDS) on her own and...
...pull over the top.
The Summit Photo:
As you can see, Nova is starting to get into the act as well...
Climbing the slide...
Or whatever she can find...





3 comments:
OMG, we should talk! Travis has been talking about building a climbing wall in the boys' room for a few months. I think he might actually do it...kinda scary, but it would be a pretty sweet room.
That is AWESOME! Who needs a couch when you could have a climbing wall?
Followed your blog for awhile, don't think I've ever posted. I have an 18 month old daughter from VN and just wanted to say thank you! We bought her the Kangaroo Climber and our active little one LOVES it! Best wishes to you and yours, your daughters are adorable.
Post a Comment