The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fly!

Today was supposed to be my weekly 5K, but after a busy (and mildly frustrating) day at work, I just couldn't muster up the energy to do the run.  I must have seen 100 patients with nausea and vomiting today. At least by the 5th patient, it felt like 100.  I had patients puking into towels, and buckets, and trash cans, and on the exam table.  Puking puking everywhere. I need to dig deep this week to find my empathy.  Seems like I've lost it somewhere...at least when it comes to nausea and vomiting. I had a day of ups and downs in the clinic. A very special couple, who I have cared for through 2 traumatic miscarraiges, is now pregnant, and I got her ultrasound results today (at 5 months) with multiple significant fetal abnormalities. Literally broke my heart.  Then this afternoon I had a 41 year old patient who had failed IVF four times, and now spontaneously concieved for the first time after many many years of trying. Truly a miracle.  Sadness. Happines.  And Nausea. lots and lots of nausea. 

Anyway, the highlight of the day revolved around our little butterfly friends.  My dear friend Tesa sent the girls the coolest butterfly kit, that came with a 5 live caterpillars.  The girls helped raise those little catepillars, and watch their transformation into butterflies this week.  The butterflies have been in their little habitat for a few days now, and I figured they were nearing the end of their lifespan. So, rather than wake up one day to dead butterflies, i thought it might be better to release them.  wow. super super success at the butterfly release party.

As previously mentioned, Nova is convinced that her princess voice translates into a language birds (and apparently butterflies) can understand.  She was singing to this little guy (on her finger...you can barely see it).
 In spite of the super high soprano (translation:screeching) princess song, this little fella sat on her finger for quite a while.  I used a trick I learned from the Matus gang (butterfly raising experts), and put these guys in the fridge for a while before we released them. It puts them into kind of a hibernation, so when we released them it took them a while to "wake up", which allowed the girls to torture play with the butterflies before the butterflies realized what was happened and took off.
 Juneau's butterfly buddy preferred to sit on her stomach before taking off.
 The butterflies before the release
 We started with 5 catepillars, and ended up with 4 butterflies...pretty good :)
 I had to include this picture of Juneau eating crab legs on sunday afternoon.  I'm not sure where she heard about eating crab legs, but she has been asking to try them for a couple of weeks, so we picked some up at costco this week, and Laura and I made a crab boil and shrimp feast.  Juneau is such an adventureous eater, and was thrilled to try the crab legs. She loved them!
 The girls playing outside before the buttefly release
 And finally, and update on the newest little kiddo...The baby seems to be doing great! I'm 16+ weeks now, and felt the baby moving around a tiny bit for the first time 2 days ago while i was snuggled up with the girls for bed.  Here is an u/s i did this afternoon (cant seem to get it turned the right way, but you get the idea!)
 The baby was all over the place on the ultrasound. super cute to watch. The girls are super excited, and keep talking about the new baby. They love to tickle, kiss, and snuggle my tummy.
The Matus gang sent the cutest "big sister" shirts for the girls, and they just love to wear those shirts around and talk about the new baby.

Funny Juneau/Nova story from today.  I took the girls to Culver's for dinner, and while i was ordering, i saw the girls talking to a little girl and her dad.  Juneau was chatting to the little girls dad, and said  loud and clear "I was born in Vietnam". the dad looked at her a little funny, and said "oh that's cool". Nova said "Yep, and I was born from my mom's tummy. isn't that cool?".  The poor guy seemd a bit confused and wasn't quite sure what to say! haha! well, they are certainly not shy!

Juneau has been kind of obsessed with homonyms lately. She must have learned that from her dad, because i certainly am not talking about homonyms to a 4 year old.  In fact, I had to actually call cris to remind me of the word "homonym" when Juneau was talking about it. Anyway, Juneau was going through her list of homonyms in the car tonight, and Nova got super excited to add her example (poor nova, usually her homonyms make no sense at all). She said " I HAVE ONE! I HAVE ONE!".  Nova has a bit of a hard time with her R's and L's, and so pronounces "right" "W-ight".  She said "W-ight, like 'you're w-ight mommy, and white, like 'my skin is white'.". Poor Nova, i didn't have the heart ot tell her she still hadn't found an actual homonym. 

2 comments:

Dania Efird said...

The grammar nerd in me loves their homonyms! Too cute!

ginadewitt said...

Wow Emilie. I can't imagine the emotions you go through on a daily basis at your job. This blog helps me to grasp it just slightly. How difficult it must be to balance the happy with the sad. I have a new respect for what you do friend!