I worked the night shift on Monday and Tuesday night...and we were BUSY!!!! Babies Babies everywhere! On Wednesday we had planned a special outing with our friends, the DeWitt's, and I was planning to head up right after work to pick up the kids. My shift ends at 730, and in typical fashion, these little babies did not really care too much about my morning plans, and we had 3 babies deliver between 725 and 745!!! (only delivered one of them, the midwives caught the others!). Anyway, I raced out of work just a bit later than planned, and we were on our way to a fun filled day with our little friends.
Of course, we had to start the morning off with a little Starbucks (mostly b/c this mamma needed a bit of caffeine to kick it in gear for a busy day with 5 little best buds!) The kids enjoyed their mini vanilla scones, and special starbucks drinks. It was super fun!
After a breakfast of champions we loaded up the car (yes, that is a total of 5 carseats/boosters) and headed out for more fun.
A well timed potty break at the nearby library allowed us to pop in for a unexpected comedy show "Busker and Me". The kids thought the clown was totally hilarious, and he somehow captivated both little Timmy and our wiggle worm Juneau for almost an hour with his slapstick routine.
An unexpected, but super cool suprise stop in the day!
Finally, we made it to the park and fountain for some play time.
Juneau wanted to sun herself on the concrete...
Cris, Morgan, and Juneau loved balancing on this wheel thingy.
Aren't they just the cutest little freezing cold girls!!! The kids all got a long together PERFECTLY!!! I couldn't believe that with all the sibling dynamics, and little-friend dynamics there was absolutely zero fussing or arguing. Everyone just had a great time enjoying the day!
I very quickly instituted the rule "No splashing mommies, only daddies", and so Cris got pretty soaked at the fountain (heehee!) It was a hot and sunny day though, so I don't think he minded at all. The kids had a great time playing and splashing.
When we finally dropped the DeWitt kids off at their house that afternoon, i wasn't sure little Timmyw was going to make it from the car into the house without collapsing from fatigue....the mark of a great day! :)
This afternoon I finished work early, and so Cris and the girls picked me up at a little after 3 to hit the zoo for a few hours. I had a great day in the operating room today. I have been working hard on perfecting my laparoscopic skills, and I am finally comfortable with doing a total hysterectomy through the laparoscope. I'm not a naturally visual-spacially oriented person, so operating through the tiny camera has been a challenge. A total laparoscopic hysterectomy has the advantage of using 3 tiny little incisions, vs a large c-section type incision, and has a much faster (and less painful) recovery. When I first started this procedure my operating time was well over 3 hours. My last 2 cases, however, I have been able to complete in under 2 hours (my new record is 83 minutes), and I am thrilled with how well my patients have been doing! It will be fun to read back through this blog in 20 years and remember back when i struggled with these new techniques that will be completely routine by then.
Anyway, we headed over to the zoo for some afternoon fun. The birds were incredibly cooperative today (it probably helped that we were the only people in the bird room!), and both Juneau and Nova had several chances to hold/feed the birds.
Nova's little friend started out on Dad's shoulder, then slowly transitioned to her stick, and then to her finger! She was THRILLED to finally have the chance to hold one of the birds (she tries so hard every time we go!)
I thought she might freak out when this guy wrapped his toes around her fingers, but she loved it!
Last weekend we totally lucked out, and one of our favorite musicians was in town for a totally free military appreciation concert. We have loved Chris Daughtry ever since his original audition on American Idol, and even though he didn't win the season, we have followed his band, and career, and remained fans. Well, Daughtry came to town for a "tour for the troops" concert, and of course we were at the park 3 hours early to be sure we had good seats for the show. That left plenty of time for wrestling with dad!
Nova was looking a little like a ragamuffin after a busy day of playing....but still cute as a button

Juneau totally loved the show, and Cris made his way allllll the way up to the front of the crowd with Juneau on his shoulders. She loved the concert, and the special time with dad. She has a couple of favorite Daughtry songs, and her face totally lit up when she recognized her songs.
Nova, however, fell asleep about 10 minutes into Daughtry's portion of the show. She slept through the entire show, the bumpy wagon ride back to the car, the transfer in and out of the car seat, and all the way up to bed. One tired little sweetheart.
Juneau spending some special time with her dad at the concert
The girls have been going to Vacation Bible School all week. They have been so funny because they are really trying to incorporate what they are learning at VBS. Today nova was balancing on a play structure and I heard her say under her breath "even i feel like i can't balance, i know i just have to trust in god". then every time she jumped from one area of the structure to the other she said "trust in god. trust in god". I had to chuckle just a bit at that.
The other perk of bible school is that Cris drops me off at work around 8 a.m., and VBS start at 9, so they have been spending the extra time getting a little snack at Starbucks in the mornings.
The "petite vanilla scones" are the perfect breakfast treat for a little girl, and they are loving having the special breakfast treat with daddy.
Finally, all my dreams came true when Cris discovered this Robin's nest outside our front door. Several of my friends have posted pictures of birds' nests at their houses, and i kept wishing i would find one near our house for the girls to watch this summer. This next is literally steps outside our front door, and we are super excited to watch these little eggies hatch this summer!
The little Jude boy seems to be doing well. Aside from the fact that my belly seems to be growing faster than i though humanly possible, I am feeling pretty good. I am going to be working really hard over the next 2.5 months to make up for all of the leave (vacation for you non-military types!) I will be taking. but it will be TOTALLY worth it once september 1st rolls around, and I pretty much check out of the working-pregnant-momma role, and check into the stay-at-home mom role for 4 whole months! While we are working in the garage, we are setting aside all the tiny baby stuff we will need in september. Melody's old infant carseat was unpacked and washed, and will be making it's 3rd appearance (Melody passed it down to Nova, and now to Jude) - that thing has certainly earned it's keep! And we are gettitng swings and baby slings and strollers and bouncy chairs ready to dominate the house again.
Our last little bit of exciting news is that we are retiring the old sea-foam sectional sofa in the hawaii living room! whooohooo!!!! we picked out our first set of brand-new-from-the-store living room furniture, and i can't wait to get it arranged in the house. Not to fear, however, all you sea-foam sectional lovers....it was lovingly recycled to some of Cris' students, so it will have a few more years of lounging to offer :)



















0 comments:
Post a Comment