The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Nova Hearts Jude

 In the stereotypical scenario, the first child has a huge, overflowing baby book.  The second child has a few pictures and keepsakes pasted into a small notebook and the third kid has a single polaroid shoved in an envelope with his name scribbled on the outside.
 
In our case, Juneau and Nova both came along close enough that this digital babybook we've kept over the last 5 years was kept up to date for both of them along the way.  And so, in the spirit of avoiding the above scenario for Jude, I'm endeavoring to post about his addition to the family as thoroughly as we did for his sisters...and on his 4th day of life...so far so good.
 
Arriving just in time for college football season, Jude got to see the Buckeyes win their opener.  The Buckeyes are now 1-0 in his lifetime.  Hopefully, he will get close to contending for the record his cousin Brent Matus holds in which the Ohio State football team didn't lose a game during his lifetime until he was 21 months old.
 
The girls are very interested in everything it takes to care for a newborn which unfortunately means having to explain to 4 year olds about breastfeeding (as vaguely as possible) and why he is red "down there" where he got his circumcision.

 
 
 
Nova gets her looks and her cool dance moves from her mom.


After nearly getting himself a readmittance to the hospital yesterday during his check-up due to his elevated bilirubin levels, today he was a bit less yellow and his numbers were enough better to suggest he is going to avoid the UV light treatment.  After dropping from 5lbs 8oz at birth to 5lbs 6oz when we left the hospital and down to 5lbs 4oz at yesterday's check-up, today he was back up to 5lbs 7oz.


Not a real smile but still super cute
 
 
At this point we could basically make the post everyday of pictures of Nova holding Jude while beaming with joy.  I know it won't last forever but for now, it is absolutely adorable.


Tonight, in her tired state as it was nearing bedtime, she actually broke into tears saying "But it's almost time for bed and I didn't get to hold Jude very much at all today."
 
In reality, I think she held him more than I did today.  Emilie might be the only person that spends more time holding him these first few days than Nova.




I had a busy Saturday and Sunday with volleyball games that had been scheduled long ago when we thought Jude would still be several weeks away - my amazing volleyball officiating colleagues had pitched in at the very last minute on a very busy weekend of matches to cover my Thursday and Friday matches when Emilie got admitted to the hospital on Tuesday.
 
After a busy and tiring week, when I got home from my volleyball match tonight it was nice to sit down and enjoy some time with my boy.


I am always humbled at the loyal following of readers to our little blog.  When we lived in Hawaii the first time around, we got to know Shiela, the manager at our local Starbucks quite well because, well, we were in there alot and then Emilie's sister Betsy started working there when she lived with us.  Sheila started reading our blog way back before Juneau came home and got to see Juneau on her first trip to Starbucks before even some of our family members saw her.  Over the last few years as we've been away from Hawaii and away from that part of the island, we have wondered at times how Shiela was doing.

On Friday morning when I had to go out on a special trip just to buy a new carseat (oh just wait, that story is coming...I've had requests), I of course stopped by a Starbucks near the hospital.  While standing there waiting for my drinks, I heard someone say my name with a questioning disbelief that is was me.  I turned...and it was our long-lost friend Sheila who was randomly happened to be there as a customer - having since left the Starbucks cult of employment.  Before I could even start to catch up with her, she said "Congratulations!".  I must have looked at her with some disbelief because she quickly said "Oh, my daughter and I still follow the blog closely" so they already knew about little Jude's arrival.  It was such a joy to stand for a few minutes and catch up with her and so humbling to hear her say "we always pray for you guys". 

We have truly been blessed to have so many amazing people in our lives since we came to Hawaii now 7 years ago already (can it possibly have been that long?).

 
If the ridiculous sweetness of my younger daughter hasn't overwhelmed you yet, I'll close with the video of Nova singing to Jude on the second day at the hospital (lyrics below)
 
"You're sweet...sweet.  You sweet little kid...rest your head."
  "Good Night...Sleep Tight"
*Kiss*
  "Very Good"

3 comments:

Sonya said...

She couldn't be any sweeter love you guys !!

Donna said...

I am so happy that Jude made his appearance and both Mommy and baby are doing great. I haven't checked your blog in a week or so since I have been so busy and was so surprised that Emilie had that handsome baby boy. Congratulations to the entire family. I have been reading your blog since you first started it and its nice to see you all together again.

ginadewitt said...

My sweet Nova! Your song could not be more perfect. I think you will always love time with babies just like your mommy :)