The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Introducing: Jude Freeman Stickley

What a whirlwind during the last 36 hours.  Emilie arrived on Saturday and things were looking fine.  Her blood pressure was fine over the weekend and we went on Monday morning to get her medical care transferred over to Tripler Army Hospital here in Hawaii.  She made an appointment for Tuesday for her bi-weekly monitoring and ultrasound.  Our family friend and one of Emilie’s mentors, Dr. (Colonel) Holly Olson had put Emilie on the schedule for September 9 to be induced and we figured we had 2 weeks to get prepared.
So, when I left the house for work yesterday morning (Tuesday) I figured it would be a typical day.  Just before I started my anatomy class at 1:00 o’clock I got a report that Emilie’s blood pressure was a bit high and they wanted her to stay in the hospital for IV and monitoring overnight.  I figured this wasn’t too big of a deal and started a super-scintillating lecture on the muscles of the back and spine.  About halfway through the lecture I got a text-message from Emilie that said “I’m being induced…no rush…come to the hospital after your class”.  My students could tell you I stammered a few times through the rest of the lecture after that one…my train of thought was derailing.
I rushed over the hospital Tuesday afternoon and it was slow going since Emilie’s body wasn’t necessarily ready to head into labor.  I eventually headed home briefly to see Juneau and Nova and get them in bed.  I explained to them the situation and they were immediately excited.  I told them Jude would be born tomorrow while they were at school and tucked them in bed. I headed back to the hospital late and we slept the night waiting for the labor to take hold.
This morning, I had on my schedule for a Comprehensive Exam Oral Defense for 2 of my PhD students so at 9:00 a.m. with it looking like it would be awhile for Emilie, I got on the phone and for 2.5 hours "attended" the event via teleconference.  By 11:30 things were picking up so I excused myself early from the defense and turned my attention back to Emilie and at 12:42, after 3 good pushes, out he came:

Jude Freeman Stickley
5lbs 8 oz ; 18.75 in.
For those who are wondering, we both have liked the name Jude for several years (Nova was slated to be a Jude if she had been a boy) and he is able to almost share his name with his wonderful grandma Judy who, if he could have waited one more day, could have shared a birthday with her as well.  He just decided he wanted to be the first birthday present she got this year so he made sure to arrive a little early. Freeman was the name of my Great Grandfather on the side of the Stickley family tracing back the oldest boy from each generation since my Great-Great-Great Grandfather John George Stickley came to America.  Jude carries a proud part of the family heritage as the first born Stickley boy for this generation. J

Since he came along so early (35.5 weeks) we may all be in the hospital a little longer than normal but we are hoping to get out of here sometime on Friday.

Enjoy the day in pictures while I run back to the hospital to take care of mom and baby (who are both doing great so far)




Emilie getting ready


He came right out...ready to face the world



The newest addition...

Compare to this photo - newborn Nova 4 years ago - We've aged quite well these last 4 years if I do say so myself :)


Proud daddy and his boy


Being back at the hospital where Emilie did here residency has meant we've gotten to see so many people from our first go around in Hawaii.  Dr. Salminen was on duty today and a great person to have there directing Jude's birth.


First bath...



We are trying to decide who he looks like.  Alex and Lyndsey have informed me they have thought long and hard and believe he looks like...Juneau.


About 2:45 I called my mom (thank goodness she is here to take care of Juneau and Nova...get them up...off to school...pick up from school...put them in bed...such a blessing) and the gang loaded up after school to head over to the hospital.  Nova had been telling everyone who would listen all day that "Today my brother Jude is going to be born"
According to my mom they were nearly unbearable on the ride over because they were so excited.
As expected, Nova absolutely fell in LOOOOVE immediately.








Juneau's first comment was "he doesn't look real" but she was actually more excited about the whole thing than I had expected she would let show.




As you can see, they are both THRILLED with the situation...
 Jude doesn't realize it but he is in SERIOUS trouble with these 2...

I am also thrilled that my mom is able to be here to meet her new grandbaby.  We thought she would be headed back to Ohio before he arrived but it worked out wonderfully for her to get to be here with him and the girls.


As a final note, besides being a big day for our family, this was a big day for my PhD student Melanie and her husband Dax who is also a PhD student in our department.  Both passed their comprehensive exam defense and only have left to complete their dissertation to get those PhD letters after their names.  I am super proud of them and am so thankful for getting to work with them over the last 2 years.

What a day it has been...unexpected timing but it has worked out well so far. Thanks for all the prayers over the last few weeks with Emilie traveling to get here and with the early arrival of Jude. We are truly blessed.

5 comments:

Becca, Brad, and Julian said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE him! He is beautiful!
You guys look great - I only wish I looked as good as Em when I had just had a baby! Thanks for sharing the great news!

Sonya said...

Absolutely love the pictures he is so handsome! So glad Nova got her real baby to hold!

Dania Efird said...

Congrats! Nova is going to kiss that baby to death! So sweet! I know you're all so excited! Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful blessing and addition to your sweet family!

Susan said...

Aw, congratulations, you guys! Jude is such a beautiful little baby. Love all the photos of him with the family, especially with his two big sisters.