Jude and I are back in Colorado for 2 weeks, so we haven't had much time to post. I am in the midst of my final outprocessing of the Army. I have to admit I was very nostalgic when I put on my uniform to start the long process. I felt sad that my Army days were drawing to a close. However, when I arrived on post to discover my paperwork (that I submitted more than 6 months ago) had not been processed yet, with only 8 days left to complete all my tasks (which could not be started without the paperwork that had been neglected for 6 months), all those sentimental feelings rapidly vanished, and I suddenly felt I could not wait to say aloha to the Army for good!!
Anyway, Colorado has been giving us a lovely farewell, with beautiful, sunny mid-60 degree days (I was very nervous we might get hit with a snowstorm during my visit!)
Jude has experienced his first "mountain breeze", and has been enjoying wearing around his hoodies and sweatpantd (ok, ok, mommy has been enjoying dressing him up in his hoodies and sweatpants!)
At 6 weeks, Jude was a bit older than Nova was for the first trans-pacific flight (I think Nova was about 3 weeks when we flew to the midwest). He was a wonderful little angel baby, though, and barely made a peep the entire flight. I even had an empty seat next to me on both legs of the trip!
I am soooo happy to be spending my 2 weeks in Colorado at my dear friend Gina's house. It worked out perfectly, because Jude doesn't even miss the constant attention he gets from his big sisters, with the DeWitt kids around! Little Mommy Morgan just adores baby Jude, and is content to hold, rock, and play with him all day long. Riley is a big help also, and i think little Timmy is enjoying not being the littlest one in the house :) I have been spoiled with tons of love, hugs, homemade meals, and help with Jude. It makes it so much easier to be away from the rest of the family when I am surrounded by such wonderful friends!
I brought the kids toy ukelele's from Hawaii, and we have been serenaded with their renditions of Hawaiian music! It's been so much fun!
Momma and the sleepy snuggly boy...
Little Mommy Morgan, proud as can be carrying her baby around!
Tomorrow I am heading to the pumpkin patch with the 4 kiddos! I am super excited, and hoping for beautiful weather and giant pumpkins :) Then Monday I continue the long and painful process of tracking down random offices on post. I really think one of the worst parts of outprocessing is the sheet of paper that has 50 places listed that need to stamp your paperwork, and the only description of the location will be "Building 1548". If you have ever been on an Army Post you will know that buildling 1548 means absolutely nothing as far as describing where to find the place, and so I have been driving and driving and driving, playing scavenger hunt (i wonder if this process has improved any since Grandpa Stickley outprocessed the AirForce a few years back!)Finally, I must mention the wonderful going away party my colleagues at work threw. It was hosted at one of the other OB/GYN's homes, and she had prepared an Indian Chicken Curry, and each guest brought a simple topping (scallions, cashews, papaya, mango, tomatoes, etc). It was a super awesome way to have a potluck, and it was great to get to see all the gang from my old office. I recieved some wonderfully thoughtful gifts, as well as an Army Commendation Medal for my service at Fort Carson. It was sad to say goodbye to such an amazing team of physicians, midwives, and nurses, and I will definitely miss this crew!







2 comments:
Oh how I chuckled when I read this. You're right Emilie, some things never change.(Hard to believe it was over 40 yrs ago I went thru this) Scavenger hunt is a great way to describe it. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Yay for not traveling back and forth and finally being together as a family for good!!!! Brant is submitting his separation paperwork soon!
Post a Comment