The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Nanny Nani

This weekend Cris was busy putting together his paperwork/application for Tenure at the University of Hawaii (among a million other projects!) and I wanted to give him a few hours of quiet, so I decided to brave it and head out to the beach with all 3 kids. 
 As you can see, Jude thoroughly enjoyed his first trip to the beach.  The girls had so much fun splashing and playing in the sand. As for Jude, well, he pretty much slept the entire time :)
 
Here he is, "rockin' out" Jude style!
 
Nova has been having a great time at school. This week the Firemen came to school, and they got to check  out the real fire engines. When she got home from school she insisted I take a picture of her with her art from school....along with some random library books. She is really into poasing for pictures and setting up props and arrangements to pose with. 
 Saturday morning hanging out in bed before baths...Juneau looks a little happier than Jude :)
 There are countelss projects to be done around the house.  The girls were intently watching Cris work on the installation of our new ceiling fan.
 This is not a very good picture, but it's another of Nova's poses.  Her class went to the pumpkin patch today for a field trip, and Nova came home with 5 pumpkins....1 for each family member. 4 big ones, and one little tiny one that she got "For my little tiny brother, Baby Jude". She then wanted to pose with "sissy standing kind of diagonal, and holding her pumpkin, and me sitting down and holding my pumpkin, and we both are smiling".
 As for the title of the post, I started my search for a nanny this week. We have been so very fortunate to have some amazing childcare for the girls. I looked into several different options for daycares neare the hospital, but finally decided I really wanted to try to find another nanny....and then Nani came along :)  "Nani" has lived in Hawaii for 11 years. Her house is a hop, skip and a jump from my new job at the hospital. She has 6 grandchildren, who all live here on the island.  I think she is going to be a great fit for our family! Anyway, as a way to ease into full time care once i go back to work, and also as a way to free up a few hours for me to have dedicated study time, Jude is going to Nani's house for a couple of hours every morning.  Today was his first day. It literally tore my heart out to leave my tiny baby, even for just a couple of hours, but he certainly didn't seem to notice!
As preparation for his first trip to Nani's house, Jude tried drinking from a bottle for the first time.  Needless to say, our little hungry boy had no problems getting the hang of the bottle, and chugged it right down.
And I think Daddy enjoyed the chance to feed  his little guy for the first time :)
 After-milk nap....check out those cheeks!
 Jude's version of "watching the buckeyes"
 Jude is rewarding our coos and tickles with occasional little smiles.  He's not the smiley little bundle of sunshine Nova was at his age, but we love the smiles we have been getting.
A couple of little funny stories from the Stickley house (our facebook friends have probably already seen these)

Nova has been embracing her Catholic Preschool education. For a couple of weeks she has been starting and finishing her prayers with the sign of thecross (which she takes VERY seriously).  Last week on Saint Francis of Assisi Day at school, Father Benny had all the kids bring their favorite stuffed animals, and he blessed them.  That evening Nova surprised us all by blessing Cris, Juneau, Jude, me, and Summit (our dog) with her holy water (hand sanitizer).
She is also embracing her Hawaiian Culture. While she was eating her afternoon snack she announced "This is Ono-licious!" (Ono is a common Hawaiian expression for Delicious).

Juneau has been doing her own share of adorable 5 year old things.  While we were out at dinner I heard her singing a tune from a popular song "I'm sexy and I know it"  (It's been on a few commercials, and in a couple of kid shows).  I was about to tell her she shouldn't be singing that song, when I listened really closely and she was actually singing "I'm Sissy and I know it" (she really truly thought those were the words!).  Cris and I couldn't help but get a good laugh out of that one!

0 comments: