The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Saturday, November 3, 2012

"My Grandpa's a Farmer!"

This story begins about 2 weeks ago.  Every week Nova's class reviews a letter of the alphabet, and the kids each bring in something from home to represent the letter.  The letter was "F", and Nova wanted to bring in a little Fisher Price figurine of a Farmer. She wanted to show her class, and tell them that her Grandpa is a Farmer. 
We talked a little bit about farming, and what it meant to be a Farmer. We also talked a little about why there aren't that many people that are still farmers.
 
Fast forward to our shopping trip to the NEX (Navy Exchange - it's like a military wal-mart).  The girls certainly aren't shy, and Juneau and Nova struck up a conversation with the Cashier.  It went something like this:
 
 
Juneau: I'm Five!
Cashier: Wow, that's old!
Nova: I'm 4 and a half!
Cashier: Oh! Are you guys friends?
Girls: WE'RE SISTERS!!!!
Juneau:  Did you know my grandpa is still alive?
Cashier: You are so lucky! I never got to meet my grandparents!
Nova: Yep, and our Granpda's a farmer.  And he never gave up on farming, even when a lot of other people did, because he's so great at it!
 
This conversation was so random, and hilarious, and totally cracked me up!
 
Meanwhile, we are STILL unpacking boxes. I'm hoping to get it all done before Christmas, but even that goal may be a little ambitious! Even with all the work still to be done, I'm having so much fun with it since we are finally settling into a house that will actually be our home for many years (for the first time EVER!)
 
We took a break from our usual activities to have some fun in Waikiki this week.  I took the girls and Jude to the Hale Koa pool/beach while Cris was teaching his anatomy class on Friday.
Both of the girls have mastered the art of the snorkel, and spent the entire day snorkeling around the kiddie pool. 
 
 Jude had his first pool experience as well, and actually did really well! He didn't fuss a bit when I dipped his toes in the water (probably due to the fact that the kiddie pool is awfully near body temperature for reasons that I don't even want to think about).
This is his ridiculously elaborate floatie that was one of my awesome garage sale finds.

2 comments:

One tired "OLD" farmer said...

Glad to hear I'm still alive. Juneau must think I'm an OLD Grandpa. LOVE you guys.

ginadewitt said...

I love everything about the cashier conversation!! Especially "We're SISTERS!!"