The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 125 / 71 To Go: Catastrophe du jour

Posted by: Cris


I'm sure some people were beginning to get worried as I was that it had been a couple of uneventful days without a potential catastrophe...there hadn't been a car breakdown, or a dog poisoning, or a flu epidemic...I was starting to get worried.

Luckily, after working all day on the fence (the gully is now officially closed off with chainlink - it is quite exciting), I was just finished cleaning up and ready to head inside - it was 5:00 pm. I had hung out with the girls for a little bit this morning but was looking forward to spending some time with them this evening. I trudged into the house through the sliding door on the bottom floor bedroom and was greeted as I stepped into the hall by a solid layer of water coating the downstairs hallway - the smell made it clear very quickly what I was dealing with.

See, when you live on a hill, the bottom 2 floors of the house are below the sewer so on the bottom floor is a 30 or so gallon pit where everything (EVERYTHING) that goes down a drain (or toilet) on the bottom 2 floors ends up before being pumped up to the street by a sump pump. So what happens when a piece of a rag somehow ends up in the sump pit (torn off of a rag in the washer and sucked down the drain? - not sure) and then gets sucked into the pump and renders it disabled? Then daddy gets to spend 2 hours pulling open the sump pit, pulling the sump pump out from amongst the sewage, cleaning the pump and putting it all back together...but wait, that's not all...then he gets to sop up the 2 inches of water that have run to the low spot on the bottom floor which happens to be inside the closet that runs underneath the stairway - on hands and knees under a stairway with what turned out to be 5 gallons of sewer water isn't nearly as fun as it sounds.

The 2 saving graces: 1) there wasn't actually anything wrong with the pump and as soon as I extracated the rag piece, it has been running fine and 2) Nova had decided to be a grouch this evening so Nelson finally had to threaten her with coming to have a talk with daddy. He brought her down to the bottom of the stairs where I was sopping up water and I told him to leave her there. We had a talk and she straightened out her attitude so I told her she could go back upstairs because I was going to be awhile...She said "I want to sit here and wait for you". So, while I worked, she sat on the bottom stair and we told stories for another half hour...the highlight of my day.

I managed to get everything cleaned up and pretty much back to normal in time to come upstairs, clean up and sit with the girls and watch the last half-hour of "How to train your dragon" while the girls cuddled ALLLL over me.

This Toy Story bowling set was part of Aunt Donova's valentine's day package and it has become a permanent fixture in our living room - the girls love it!
Lunchtime:
More of Juneau's funny faces caught on camera:


Naptime - Nova generally sleeps with her eyes most of the way open - it's freaky!
Fresh out of the bath and ready for dinner - I had timed it to share dinner with the girls until the eruption.


End of the day cuddle on the couch with daddy and a show:

Don't look know but we're about to break 70 days to go...still seems like a lot!! But, I was looking at my master schedule tonight and March and April are packed for me so it should go fast. We are heading into the time period when decisions are made by the Army for where the doctor's go for next year officially so please pray for that forthcoming news.

0 comments: