Day 2: I am exhausted by the events of the day, both physical and emotional. I am reminded of the words to Emilie and my special song for Juneau (All the Words by Kutlass):
"How do I speak of the indescribable to you..."
But I'll try. We wake early this morning and it is nice to get a few miles in on the treadmill to shake off the stiffness of sitting on a plane all day yesterday. We leave Saigon and make the short 1 hour flight to Danang.
But I'll try. We wake early this morning and it is nice to get a few miles in on the treadmill to shake off the stiffness of sitting on a plane all day yesterday. We leave Saigon and make the short 1 hour flight to Danang.
Driving to the airport in Saigon; Getting ready to land in Danang
The road to Tam Ky
The road to Tam Ky winds through mile after mile of rice fields and small outcroppings of towns. After a dozen or so brushes with death navigating the multitude of cars and motorbikes (the dotted line down the center of the road is really more just a guideline or to serve as a point of reference), we arrive at the Red Cross baby orphanage in Tam Ky and are led to the director's office. The orphanage is very small and pretty much what you'd expect a small orphanage in a rural area of a third world country to be like. But Lilian has said repeatedly how well cared for the babied are at Tam Ky and how great the caregiver's are.
Juneau is still asleep so they have to wake her up. After an agonizing few minutes of waiting, they bring Juneau into the room. I'm immediately struck by how big she is. Emilie and I thought all along that she looked big in the pictures but figured in person she would be smaller than we thought. In fact, she is BIGGER than we ever thought. I am not convinced that she isn't a little bit older than her "estimated" age at the time she was left at the orphanage.
Her age is a prime phase for advances in limbic system development and though she is okay with me holding her for awhile, soon she hears several of the babies in the adjoining room start screaming and she decides it must be time to start screaming.
We ended our visit at that point and one of the nannies takes her back to settle her down. During the long drive back to Danang, the day starts to catch up to me and I'm exhausted.
Back in our hotel in the resort area of Hoi An, we grab a quick dinner and are ready to crash. Tomorrow is an early day of driving back to Tam Ky for the Giving and Receving ceremony when Juneau joins our family officially.
Please pray that she will feel relaxed and comfortable with me and be able to bond quickly to her dad. I know there will be some tough adjusting for her but I pray it will be minimally painful for all of us.
I also know this blog post cannot adequately describe how it felt when they brought her into the room today and when I held her for the first time but I'm not sure those words exist.



7 comments:
I am so excited for you guys! Finally getting to hold Juneau! She is very lovely : )
Oh my gosh Juneau is absolutely beautiful!!! I have been thinking about you guys, since we will be in Honolulu for a quick visit in August. How wonderful that your family of four will soon be all together!!!
Lots of kisses to both your girls from Emi and Miya in Cal. :-)
I am thrilled beyond words that you finally held your baby Juneau!! You sound like you are near where we took our 9 yr. old back to a few months ago - we stayed at the Hoi An Beach Resort. She met her bm and family and it was a great trip. Enjoy the time you have there along with your new addition! Linda and Family
We prayed for you all in church this morning. What a beautiful little girl. So very happy for you all. We love each of you and so glad your Mom and Dad can be there with you. What a precious moment for you. MM and AM are praying and loving you all. Take care.
We prayed for you all in church this morning. What a beautiful little girl. So very happy for you all. We love each of you and so glad your Mom and Dad can be there with you. What a precious moment for you. MM and AM are praying and loving you all. Take care.
I am so excited for you. I will also be praying that the transition goes as smooth as possible. She is adorable. I have to commend you and your wife for working so well together to make this family come together as one. Can't wait to hear more details.
Cheryl F
Jacksboro, TN
www.whattonameher.blogspot.com
Boy, I've been following you're family's story since the beginning of it all! She's just beautiful! Congrats on your lovely girls. Soon you'll all be together again - hang in there!
Post a Comment