The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day 8: This Blog Post is Skull Free

After receiving feedback from this blog's #1 fan (Juneau's mommy), for today's post we have decreased the number of pictures containing human skulls from yesterday's high of 3 down to 0.

Also, I am extremely humbled to hear of all the people who are following our adventure through this blog. Yesterday alone we had about 700 hits to the site. We started this as just an easy way for our family and friends to know what was going on with our adoption but we are thankful for all the support and prayers we are receiving from everyone who has somehow stumbled across our humble little blog.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

This morning we venture out on a long drive northeast of Hanoi to a rural village known throughout the region for producing handmade pottery. We once again navigate the craziness of Hanoi traffic to reach the different kind of craziness that is driving down the "roads" of rural Vietnam.

Be sure to keep your arms inside the vehicle at all times.

Lilian knows the lay of the land well and takes us to the most well known, family pottery business that, at she says, "makes the high quality stuff that doesn't get sold to the local people." We take a tour of the operation where the clay, gathered from the local riverbeds, starts on the sixth floor of their building then progresses stage by stage as it moves down a floor at a time until reaching the shop where they sell the finished products on floors 1 & 2. It is amazing to see these skilled craftsmen carefully shaving and shaping each item and the ladies handpainting the intricate designs on the finished products just before they go into the oven for 15 hours (the pottery, not the ladies).




Oh look a cebu! Wait, that's a water buffalo.
(For the veggietales impaired, please see google)

The rice fields of rural Vietnam

Juneau continues to thrive. Today was a little rough for her because she is seriously teething so she is a little extra fussy at times. During those times she definitely does not want to be held by anyone else but me and freaks out if I leave the room and she loses sight of me. Even when I am holding her she has plenty of fussing moments. Otherwise, she is a happy girl and enjoys playing with her toys and laughing at Grandma and Grandpa. She is also the flip-floppiest sleeper you have ever seen. I am very thankful for the help my parents have provided in being here. My dad does all of the typical "dad" things and makes sure things are taken care of. My mom makes sure I am never in need of a freshly mixed bottle or bowl of rice cereal for Juneau and she doesn't mind changing stinky diapers.

I am so thankful for the prayers and support of so many. The coming week will have its own challenges and I appreciate your prayers as we attempt to clear the last few hurdles to bringing Juneau home. Monday she will have official medical check-up. On Tuesday, her passport is scheduled to be finished. It is important that it is completed on time and that there are NO TYPOS (correct birthdate, name spelled precisely correct, etc.). Then on Thursday comes the last big hurdle that it is imperative it goes well. At 2:00 p.m. I will take Juneau and go to the U.S. embassy here in Hanoi. I will undergo a short interview in order for her VISA to be processed. Pray that this interview goes well and there are no problems with the U.S. approving Juneau's VISA. Finally, after our interview, the VISA is processed and is supposed to be completed approximately 2 hours later. It is important that this step goes as scheduled because we are supposed to be on a plane at 11:00 p.m. that same day to come home (a plane which we obviously cannot board without Juneau's VISA).

So, this string of events needs the precise timing and no complications in order for us to come home when we are scheduled. The thought of all of this stresses me out so I covet your prayers that things will fall into place perfectly and I'll make it through until we are back in Honolulu on Friday without too many ulcers.

Finally, more pictures of our June-bug:





Standing Tall
I am NOT amused








11 comments:

Beverly and Robert said...

Hi guys,
My daughter was the same. When we were in Vietnam I had to do all the carring and care for her. (she was the same age as Juneau) She only wanted me and not my husband. She was sooo heavy ( over 18lb) it nearly broke my back. Juneau is a cute cute sweety! I have been following your journey for more then a year now. I am very happy for you : )

Shelly said...

We are one of the followers of your journey.. .here in Seattle. We are an adoptive family, with 3 kids from Korea! Your journey is so touching to read, and we appreciate you letting us all follow along! Praying all goes smoothly in the next week! Can't wait to see your whole family united! What an exciting day that will be for all of you!

Anonymous said...

cris-
great job on the blog updates. we are having so much fun reading and watching this journey! june-bug is adorable! emmie- looks like she really WAS standing in those pics before! hopefully everything goes smoothly over the next week...we will be thinking about you.

love,
shab, brant, and ava

Anonymous said...

Chris & Em,
Your church family in Potsdam is very excited for you. We miss Grandpa and Grandma but are glad they could be you on this journey. We continue to pray for all of you and will do so long after this journey ends. Everyone is anxious for your next visit to Ohio so we can meet Juneau and Nova.

In Christ,
Jeff, Shelly and your Church Family in Potsdam, OH

Anonymous said...

How precious Junebug is. So happy for all of you. Enjoy so much reading and seeing the pictures of all of you. We will be praying especially over the next few days for you and all you will be facing. We serve a wonderful Saviour. Grettings form Ohio to all of you. Sometime soon hope to get to hold them both. I'm working on Nova's bank now.
Merrill and Alice

mimi lam said...

Hello
I have been following your Juneau journey since last year,I enjoy reading your travel, see adorable Juneau, she is feeling secure, comfort in her father's arms, can't wait to see her unite with her mother and sister, thank you for sharing, pray for the process going smoothly, and have a safe trip home.

Susan said...

I've been following your adoption since the very beginning, and I'm so happy to see Juneau in your arms FINALLY. I know the process to get where you are was long and difficult, but, WOW, what a jewel you now have. Juneau is beautiful! I pray that the remainder of your time in Vietnam goes smoothly, as well as your trip home. Congratulations!

Mrs.B said...

I have been a follower since the beginning. Praying for you that all go smoothly and you get home on time with no worries.
Best wishes,
Tamara

Anonymous said...

A little disappointing that there were no skulls today! I know how awesome you guys are but I had no idea how ready you both were to be such amazing parents!!! Even if they make me cry with how touching they are, keep the updates coming. I love you guys and can't wait til you are all to-ge-ther (ala Eva's filipina accent).
Tracy (and Jeremy vicariously)

Sherri said...

I have been following your blog for a while and I think you have two adorable girls. And Juneau has the sweetest smile. Enjoy the rest of your time in Vietnam and I pray the interview/visa process is speedy.

Bharani said...

I too am one of the many "stalkers" of your blog and you have an amazing story. I'm so glad we got to see Emilie and Nova recently but thinking of your whole family. So happy and excited for you!

-Bharani