On the plane, Juneau is so relaxed and just interested in looking around. She doesn’t make a peep the whole flight and I’m relieved.
Gulf of Tonkin (non-history buffs could care less about this picture)
We arrive at the Hoa Binh Palace Hotel in Hanoi. It is an OLD hotel built over 100 years ago by the French. It is nice and we have a big room with lots of room to stretch. We go for a little shopping in the old quarter of Hanoi before returning to the hotel restaurant for dinner. While dining over our French themed cuisine, we watch out the window at a downpour that causes at least a 6 inch build-up of water on the road. Everyone has pulled their motorbikes and bicycles over under the building awnings while a few are out splashing through the water and laughing at this mini-flood. Juneau is doing a little better today and lets me sit her down a couple times without crying as long as I don’t venture too far. I give her a bath for the first time and she is NOT too thrilled about it. She also makes it through her first diaper change without crying. No real smiles yet which is heartbreaking but progress nonetheless.
Day 5: Wednesday, June 16, 2008
This morning it is still a bit rainy so we visit the Vietnam Museum of Ethnology outlining the history of the ethnic groups of Vietnam and showcasing lots of cool artifacts and model dwellings from each subculture.
The highlight of today comes when, on a whim, I try to ring Emilie on Skype and she answers. It’s 5:30 a.m. for her and I figure there’s a chance she’ll be getting ready for work and have her computer on. As soon as she answers we quickly get our webcams hooked up. I have Juneau sitting on my lap at the computer and as soon as I get my webcam plugged in I hear Emilie start screaming “I can see her, I can see her.” It’s our first opportunity for her mommy to see Juneau in real time and also the first time I’ve talked to Emilie, without typing it, since we left for Vietnam. It’s also the first time I’ve gotten to see Nova in what seems like ages. We don’t have much time but we share an amazing 15 minutes for the first time as a family, even if it isn’t totally live, in-person.
Talking to mommy and Nova all the way in Michigan
This evening Juneau has finally relaxed to the point that she is interested in playing with things as we sit at the dinner table. In our room she loves the remote and chewing on a teething ring I brought. Her front bottom two teeth are in a long way and the tops are peaking through so she wants to chew on everything.She is starting to let her personality show and is babbling a bit and saying “Ba” (daddy in Vietnamese).
Day 6: Thursday, July 17, 2008
Today we had a really cool experience. After getting up early and spending nearly an hour on the webcam with Emilie and Nova, we head out for some sightseeing. There was one site I definitely wanted to see while in Hanoi so I locate some pictures on the internet. As soon as I show Lilian, she knows exactly where it is. We take a short cab ride, which Lilian has to direct because the cab driver doesn’t know where the place is, and arrive at the remnants of the Hoa Lo Prison…better known to Americans as the Hanoi Hilton, former POW camps to American pilots shot down during the war, including the man who is hopefully our next president, John McCain. The prison has several historical eras but we are most interested when we reach the wing devoted to the American POW’s. It is an eye-opening experience. The pictures and captions pertaining to the Americans’ imprisonment is laced with propaganda including multiple pictures of protestors in the U.S. who according to the picture, are “showing solidarity of the American people with Vietnamese people in the Vietnamese struggle for independence and unification of the country." Another panel of pictures shows U.S. airmen playing basketball, cards, and setting up a Christmas tree. The display gives the impression of an experience second only to a resort vacation. Not surprisingly, none of the displays mention torturing prisoners for information.
Entrance to the Hanoi Hilton
Inside: A main gate to the prison
Standing outside one of the cells, complete with leg shackles embedded in the floor
Juneau already knows "the grandpa Stickley" (sleeping sitting up with mouth hanging open)



4 comments:
Please tell the Hoa Binh Palace that the twins (Hoa (say hwah) and Lan (say Lahn) that stayed there the month of Dec in 2006) and their mommy say hello. It was such a wonderful place to stay and I hope you find your stay there as nice as we did.
The Green Tangerine is just south of you and they have a very different selection of food if you want. It's a bit pricey for supper (by Ha Noi standards) but lunch is priced very reasonably. The building has this wonderful little courtyard, very neat.
The posts have brought me to tears! She is such a beautiful baby, both of your girls are. I simply can't imagine how you are doing it Emilie, being so far away, or you Cris being so far away. Time's going to fly and wow what a reunion you will have!
Congratulations!
We've been following your blog for about 6 months now and are so excited for the two of you! Prayers for a safe trip home and that August will arrive very quickly so all of you can be together.
This post brought me to tears what a amazing relationship you and emilie must have. Juneau is beautiful and just in the pictures you can see her lighting up a bit. I bet real soon you will see a smile that will be enbedded in your heart. Many prayers while you continue your journey.
Cheryl F.
This post brought me to tears what a amazing relationship you and emilie must have. Juneau is beautiful and just in the pictures you can see her lighting up a bit. I bet real soon you will see a smile that will be enbedded in your heart. Many prayers while you continue your journey.
Cheryl F.
Post a Comment