Ummm, okay...
Juneau's Grandpa and Grandma Stickley at the pagoda
Next we hit the Museum of Natural History. This provides for some amazing sights. Unlike museums in the U.S. where an item that is 500 years old is considered ancient, this museum contains items from the 4th century and older.
Remains of skull from between 3,000-4,000 B.C.
(Give me a break, I'm an anatomy teacher)
The weather has been rainy in the evenings so tonight we take in an Italian themed dinner. For the second night in a row Juneau eats a bit of vegetable soup from a big girl spoon and loves it. It is rainy so we turn in early. (I neglected to mention last nights dining at the very famous Green Tangerine. The chef himself made a spectular recommendation and we thoroughly enjoyed the place).
The most important events of the day involve the daily changes that are happening with Juneau. She had become very vocal and jabbers almost constantly. Today at the museum she realized she could hear her own voice echoing in the nearly silent hallways so, of course, her volume continued to escalate. After a good nap and afternoon snack, she was in the mood to play. She sat on the bed for the longest time playing with toys, jabbering and even smiling. She likes sitting on my lap and playing with my necklace and putting her fingers in my mouth. From that position I also found a prime tickle spot and she let out the biggest squealing giggle. At the restaurant tonight, she was completely wound up and playful. The differences a few days have made is remarkable. Lilian commented tonight that she can see the little by little difference in her face everyday.
Today was also important for me because it was the first time that I truly felt like this little girls daddy. Emilie and I have talked alot over the last 2 years (and especially more since Nova arrived) about whether or not it would come easy to feel naturally like Juneau's dad/mom. I never had a doubt that I would feel exactly toward Juneau the way I would for a biological child, but that feeling hadn't dawned on me yet until today. Don't get me wrong; I have been totally enthralled since the first time I held her on Sunday. But I think the combination of worries for her adjustment and the physical busyness of caring for her and trying to win her over had prevented much introspection. I think the progess she had made over the last 2 days finally allowed me to relax enough to think about being her daddy...and it feels great.
Enough talking; more pictures: Playing with Grandma Stickley



2 comments:
OMG, I can't believe how much catching up I've had to do on all that's happened in the Stickley world!! Chris, your wife rocks, but you're a pretty damn good blogger yourself. Juneau is GORGEOUS. I can't believe what a beautiful baby she is. And you look SO NATURAL as her daddy. Can't wait to see the whole fam united. Keep the pictures comin' and take care of that cutie!
YEAHH!!!! so many pictures of our girl! I LOVE it! It is terrible to be so far from our sweet girl, but i am loving reading about juneau and her dad getting to know eachother! Great blog entry, Cris, but i could handle a few more pics of our pretty girl and a few less of ancient skulls. but you know me, i'm not quite the history buff! :) keep up the great work from vietnam! I LOVE you guys!!! can't wait for August 16th!
I'm sending lots of love from Michigan to Vietnam!
Post a Comment