Posted by: Cris
It is funny how at the moment we are a family without a home...or actually with 2: our "Hawaii Home" and "Colorado Home" as the girls call them. They'll refer to something that happened that we don't quite understand in context and then say "no, remember...I mean at our Hawaii home" and then it all makes sense. Nova just pulled one of those on me this evening as I newly arrived to: Colorado home...the place that definitely for me seems like Home Away From Home but it is beyond wonderful to be here other than the fact that the whole family still isn't here...I'll explain:
I left Honolulu at 11:50 pm last night with the plans of making it to Denver just in time for Emilie to get on a plane in Denver and fly to New York for the next 2 days to visit a dear friend who has been in and out of the hospital over the last 2 years fighting cancer. In reality, I know a major influence on why Emilie planned her trip now was the fact that "Bowl Week" (which Emilie is quick to point out actually lasts 3 weeks) starts TOMORROW NIGHT! It truly is "the MOST wonderful time...of the year!
The plan almost hit an obstacle when my plane got into Phoenix late and I literally sprinted from one concourse to the next and just barely made my plane to Denver. In Denver, Emilie had already checked in by the time I got to baggage claim, we had 20 minutes to eat lunch, had a quick hello/goodbye kiss and swapped off on our weird "shared custody" arrangment and she was off.
So, until she gets back Sunday night, it is just me and the girls sitting here in weather that to this Hawaii boy seems cruel and unusual punishment.
When bedtime came, I thought I was doing some good spoiling when I said "yes" to the girls' request to sleep in my bed until I said "Do you always sleep in mommy's bed these days?" and Juneau didn't even pause in saying "Yeah!"
So, as I tucked them in with their Christmas music CD playing, Nova said "Do you have work to do on your computer?" I understood exactly what she was asking but knowing that I'm still on Hawaii time and would be up quite awhile but still wanting to feel like I'm doing my part with the spoiling, I said "Yes, but I'll lay with you for awhile and listen to some Christmas songs before I go down and work on my computer" to which Nova quickly replied: "Mommy just brings her computer up and works on it in bed"
A dad attempting to get some spoiling in after he's been gone can't win when mommy is spoiling everyday of the week! :)
Friday, December 16, 2011
Home Sweet Home Away From Home
I warned them this arrangement was only going to hold for one more night because there is NO WAY all four of us can fit in one bed...especially with "The Kicker" over there on the far side of the bed!
On the bright side, now that I'm on Christmas break and actually in the same locale as the stars of the blog, I'm hoping to make up for our highly irregular blog posting as of late...anyone want to be me on whether I can pull off another run of "daily" for the next 3 weeks? :)
Posted by Cris and Em at 7:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
My bet is on you! We love it as family when you can share as often as possible!!!
My bet is on you! We love it as family when you can share as often as possible!!!
You're as self-disciplined as your Grandpa. I'd never bet against you!
Post a Comment