The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 114 / 82 To Go: My kingdom for a fuel pump!

Posted by: Cris

You don't actually have to know people if you know people who know people. Luckily, I know my friend Sean who, besides being one of the most generous people in the world, also knows tons of people. So, he got "his guy" to come look at the car today and quickly diagnosed an aging fuel pump as the source of the problem - he actually was just confirming for us what Sean and I had surmised from talking about it and me tinkering with the car on Thursday.

But, one of those special things about Hawaii would be that even though I could have the car fixed in 30 minutes with a $75 part, there's not a single one to be had on this island anywhere. Checker auto parts quoted me a time to receive one via special order as "2 to 6 weeks". Apparently it has to be shipped here on an Outrigger Canoe paddled by a crew of geriatrics.

But, it seems that I can get one from ebay for a reasonable price - now just to bide my time waiting for delivery sometime this coming week.

Apart from the fruitless search for a fuel pump today, the girls and I had a pretty fun day around the house.

A good start to the day spending some skype time with mommy:
The girls love to sit and make mommy go through all the graphic overlays for her face on skype. This werewolf one actually scares them after while.

The connection was so good this morning, we got to eat breakfast with mommy too.


The fun really started when we started putting different faces on Juneau and Nova which they thought was HILARIOUS!
Today we managed a really good nap because before nap I bribed them with these candy bracelets if they went right to sleep.

Offering some to Mommy (and Aunt Betsy)
I love my children enough to accept one of the last ones left on the string when they offer it to me, even if it is covered with slobber unlike some mommy's who will remain nameless :) This evening we headed out to try to get the last hole dug in preparation for using the cement mixer I know have in my shed (borrowed from my neighbor). I'm hoping to pour a bunch of concrete on Monday.
Unfortunately, I was 2/3 of the way done with the last hole when the rains came and we jumped in the shed to take cover.
It was pouring hard so we waited it out. Nova tried to entertain us during the wait.
Yep, still raining...

Finally, we decided to make a run for it all the way from the bottom yard up to the garage. By the time we got to the garage, we were soaked.
Weather permitting, I'll be able to put the posts in on Monday which will be a major step toward finally getting the fence done. However, at the moment, it has been storming something fierce on this side of the island for the last 2 hours so hopefully it hasn't set in for the whole weekend.

0 comments: