The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 118 / 78 To Go: Denial is NOT stronger than germs.

Posted by: Cris

This morning picked up pretty much where yesterday left off. The girls had a super restless night and I ended up in about 20 different positions on the couch responding to each of their waking cries throughout the night. For another day, the girls took in a full day's worth of shows on the couch (I'm praying they don't figure out the connection between sickness and getting to sit on the couch and watch shows or I will be raising hypochondriacs). The fevers were hanging and they had zero appetite but their attitudes seemed a little happier most of the morning.

I however started the day feeling a bit crappy but figured I'd head out to Home Depot for my last 7 bags of concrete and try to finish the posts. Just ignoring sickness works right?

Though it doesn't look like it in this picture, today Juneau took the brunt of the fever and Nova steadily improved as the day went on. By 7:00 pm her fever was gone even without having had Tylenol for 6 hours and she started getting antsy. However, she was still totally capable of milking it wih a crying "Daddy, I want you to snuggle me"

The dogs are adjusting to my series of new plans for their lives which involve being inside more in the evening "just in case" and Summit may start staying outside at night because if the huskies go after a living creature in the yard, you can bet Summit will be barking up a storm (flashback to the Prairie Dog in the yard in Colorado - scroll to the bottom of that post to relive a great animal kingdom moment - and if I were you I'd watch that sweet goal by Landon Donovan again).
I managed to make it through the final trips down the hill toting concrete bags (final tally: 41 bags - 2480 lbs) and get the last pole put in (only 3.5 cubic feet on that one, Dad - since I know you are keeping track) and work a bit on my new mission of eradicating all of the standing water implements on our property (i'm building 5-gallon bucket toad traps next) but I was starting to lose the germ warfare so it was kind of lucky that a set of very severe thunderstorms went through and chased me back in the house.


Luckily, as the day went on, the girls kept doing a bit better while I was moving in the opposite direction...but I'd prefer that if one of us has to be sick, it's me.


By the time I had Nelson keep an eye on the girls so I could make a quick trip to Safeway for much needed milk tonight, I must have been quite a site walking through the aisles with an "out of it" expression and freezing my butt off even in Hawaii (Fever: 1; Thermoregulation: 0)


But, even the crappiness of the storms today had a great outcome of producing these views over the ocean as the sun began to set (don't miss the rainbow in the first 2):




By tonight, Nova is close to over the sickness and felt good enough to play the princess game on my phone :)
Juneau was still battling the fever with regular Tylenol doses but did eat a little bit of eggs and so far (knock on wood) hasn't puked anymore. I on the other hand am sitting here completely wrapped in a down comforter and when I had to get up a few minutes ago and attempt to answer a phone call from Emilie (which was unsuccessful, unfortunately), the shivers that ensued were LITERALLY physically painful...quick run back to the couch!!
So that we don't go 2 days in a row with downer posts, I'll leave you with this happening from over the weekend that Emilie reminded me of:
We were on Skype Saturday morning talking with Emilie and playing and having some good family time and Nova said: "I have a good idea, let's pretend Mommy is Coool!!" Luckily Nova has one of the best knacks for pretending that I've ever seen in a 2 year old so she might just be able to pull that off though it will clearly require the full use of her skills. :)

0 comments: