Posted by: Cris
Today's cooking lesson: Grandma's famous pepperoni rolls. Today's plan was awesome. Grandma and the girls headed to the beach at the Hale Koa and played there until I got out of the anatomy lab.
Today was the best day I've had with my girls in quite awhile. I hugged them extra hard today. I didn't know it when I went to the anatomy lab today but for the first time I worked on a cadaver of someone younger than me...a 35 year old guy who was diagnosed at age 10 with what amounted to juvenile alzheimer's. I couldn't help but think about the possibility that early on in life this little kid could have been a seemingly normal child that as his brain started to degenerate, his parents may have had to watch their seemingly normal 2 year old end up becoming a 14 year that reportedly had the mental function of a 5 year old. Add to that that I found myself standing over the body of someone younger than me and a part of my brain spent alot of time reflecting while I was dissecting this morning. So by the time I got to the beach and Juneau came running a full 40 yards across the beach to jump into my arms, I was fully ready to squeeze her extra hard.
I know these diatribes into the wonders of human anatomy don't connect with plenty of people who will read this, but the experience continually changes who I am.



1 comments:
I get it. I did a year in exercise science and while we didn't have full cadavers (we got the limbs and heads left over from the anatomy school at another university), it was the hands and feet that always got me. I would look at them and imagine who and what the hands had held and touched, and where the feet had carried them.
Post a Comment