Even though I stayed home from work today, Katy took care of the girls so I could get some work done on my huge fence project. It was super nice to be able to go to the store to get some supplies without contending with 2 and 3 (and 31 year old) attention spans for tools.
As luck would have it, the project has necessitated that I break down and buy a mitre saw (seriously, I can't help it all my tools are in Colorado and I've needed one of these for a long time). Also as luck would have it, the NEX carries Craftsman and had a sale on the saw I needed. Combine that with not paying tax at the NEX and I basically got it for 33% off - SCORE!
After nap, we needed to make our weekly trip to Costco so I took the opportunity to stop at Home Depot and grab a couple things I needed. As we were walking out, there was a lady walking along side us who had looked over, smiled at the girls and then was walking at a faster pace and slowly pulling away from us. Juneau looked up and saw the flag outside the store and just said "Oh" and proceeded to start into her "I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America". I immediately noticed the women kind of look over her shoulder and then quickly slow down...it was clear she wanted to see if this little girl was actually going to say the whole thing. As soon as Juneau finished "with liberty and justice FOOOOR ALLLL" the lady stopped dead in her tracks, turned around and said "How old is she?" - "3" - "Wow, nice job".It was very funny.
Because of the significance of this coming Saturday, tonight we set to work making Buckeyes.
__________________________________________________________________________________
A Brief Bit of History
In 1992, my sister and I were living in a small apartment just off High Street at the edge of the Ohio State campus. She was in her second year of medical school and I was in my second year of undergrad. We had grown up on a small farm in Ohio and had been raised to love the Buckeyes. That was the year, without knowing it, we started what would become our “Michigan-week” tradition. In our small kitchen we baked a single recipe of our beloved Buckeye candies and each took half of them to work with us on Friday – her to share with her med school mates and mine to the Ohio State Athletic Training Room. The tradition has continued every year since then even after we moved to different corners of the state or country. The tradition has been carried through Ohio, Kentucky, to California for a couple years and even all the way to Hawaii. Now years later, it’s not just her and I carrying on the tradition: Our kids and spouses now know what we do the week before the big game and participate in the fun. So, for 19 years now, my sister and I have been bringing Buckeyes to work with us the Friday before the Ohio State – Michigan game and sharing some Buckeye spirit.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Our current living situation required some flexibility this year. I knew we had at least 2 hand mixers and a KitchenAid mixer in our storage unit in Colorado so I didn't want to go buy yet another one.
So, if it's the week before the big game and you need to mix a batch of Buckeyes but don't have a mixer, what do you do?
Luckily, farm kids know how to cob something together and make it work...
...so, if you've ever wondered whether an ordinary spoon can be tightened into the chuck of a 1/2" drill and used to mix ingredients... ...the answer is "Yes"
The drill mixer even still provides the opportunity to lick the "beater" when finished: Juneau tasted the mixture very tentatively.
...she just went for it! Then it was time to dip the chocolate
The biggest highlight of the day was the Emilie's internet speed was at an alltime high tonight so we Skyped for over 45 minutes without dropping the connection even once. That meant that she got to participate in the Buckeye making and even went down with us to tuck the girls into bed and take part in our nightly singing of "You Are My Sunshine"
“Time and change will surely show, how firm they friendship, O-HI-O”
Go Buckeyes!!




2 comments:
Quite literally lauging aloud at the spoon/drill/mixer. My MIL and also an aunt (both were Air Force wives) have both said that when you are in a military family you learn how to be creative with what you have and when you have it.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
oh cris, how could you post the lastest potty picture! oh well, if it makes em feel more like she's in touch with home- well then go for it!
we love you all! grandma
Post a Comment