The Stickley family adventures started in Hawaii in 2005 when Cris and Emilie were married. The real excitement began in May 2008, when Nova was born. 2 short months later, our little June-Bug joined the family from all the way in Vietnam. The next few crazy years included Emilie being deployed to Afghanistan, while Cris and the girls moved back to Hawaii, then a long year of living apart (and a lot of trips across the Pacific Ocean), while Emilie remained in Colorado to complete her Army committment, and Cris had to stay in Hawaii for his job at the University.

In the summer of 2012, little Jude joined our family, and the whole gang reunited for good in Hawaii!

Follow our adventures, as we try to keep track of life with our 3 crazy kids, while keeping our friends and family updated on the happenings here in Hawaii!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 4: Halloween Redux

Posted by: Cris

Besides the great time I had yesterday following Max and Wild Thing Nova around trick-or-treating at the mall, we also spent a great day hanging out, just the three of us. We started with a loooong visit to Home Depot and unlike their mom, the girls had a great time. However, the whole time Juneau kept urging me out the door and off to Moe's.

Necessary Background: About a week ago, we all went to "Welcome to Moe's", our favorite little fast-food type Mexican place. The kid's quesadilla meal comes with a cookie. For awhile now, Juneau's chosen means of "acting out" when she's unhappy is to emphatically say "I don't want ____". In this case, when she wouldn't eat her quesadilla, Emilie told her that if she didn't eat her quesadilla she wouldn't get any of the cookie to which Juneau of course said (in her grumpiest voice) "I don't want a cookie!"

In the past, we have let her switch course immediately and apologize and still get the cookie. But, we decided at some point we'd have to hold her to it and that day was last Sunday. So, despite Juneau's apologies and protests, Nova got to eat the whole cookie...but, Emilie told Juneau next time we came to Moe's she could get the cookie. So, everyday for the next week, where did Juneau want to eat? "I want to go to the place with the cookie...and I'm not going to say 'I don't want it!' because that's not nice"

So yesterday, me and the girls ended up back at Moe's.

Juneau quickly set to the task of eating her quesadilla...
As always, Nova was more than happy with a giant bowl of black beans.
Even the picture does not do justice to the sheer and utter joy Juneau experienced when she finally "got the cookie".
Finally, after trick-or-treating yesterday, we came home and got out our bowl of candy and waited for the kids to come knocking on our door. Last year, the girls had soooo much fun passing out candy that I couldn't wait for the doorbell to start ringing. Unfortunately, we live on a dead-end street up a VERY steep hill at the top of a mountain so we had a grand total of....ZERO trick-or-treaters. So, I'm left with a big bowl of candy to get rid of.

Emilie and I had talked about how nobody could possibly trick-or-treat in our neighborhood because you have to walk up steep driveways just for a fun-size snickers...unless you are this guy who lives around the corner from us:

Down at the road he had built this elaborate platform which was fed from on top of the hill by a 3" PVC pipe to shoot the candy down from the house. I just had to stop in front of his house and take a picture out of admiration for his creation...

Candy Chute FTW!!

1 comments:

Cris and Em said...

haha!!! sooo glad she finally got that cookie!